Thursday, April 10, 2014

Red hair & Rigoletto designs

Hello, toasters!
It’s been a while, but I’m afraid I had to put my blogging on hold whilst I was trying not to drown in my latest design project.
You’ll be glad to know that I’ve handed in, and it only took a few all-nighters, 3 models of a castle and enough caffeine to give a blue whale a heart condition.
I did cut my leg quite a lot with a scalpel (one of the many perils of modelmaking) and one of the cuts is pretty deep and looking infected….. I should probably do something about that rather than just sit here and type…..
*runs to the bathroom and douses lethal wound in TCP*
So as I haven’t blogged in a month (I missed you all!), I thought I’d do a catch-up post, just to let you know where I am in this overpriced and under-chocolate-filled maze we call ‘life’.
Let’s start with the biggest change- I’VE DYED MY HAIR BRIGHT RED!!!!


It’s halfway between Ariel the little mermaid and Jessica Rabbit, and it definitely looks like I’ve murdered someone a la Psycho every time I have a shower (which I find very amusing).
I’m looking forward to Halowe’en, as this hair colour really does open up a whole host of fancy dress opportunities.  If I was less of a hermit, I would just get my ass to a comicon-type gathering but
a. I’m broke and
b. I like being snuggled up under a duvet and watching Netflix too much.
I’ve wanted to go this colour for ages, and I’m so glad that I finally had the balls to say goodbye to low-maintenance and employable-looking hair.
I mean, Uni is the time to experiment, right? So far, I’ve only experimented with different shapes of pasta and various scented handwashes, so I thought it was about time I started acting my age rather than 60.
Honestly, my mindset has been so ‘old lady’ lately, I even considered making my own jam. Then I remembered that it’s only 50p in Sainsburys and I really don’t have time for that.
One more thing that’s new- I’m now employed!
I work at the university library, putting all the books back when the students cba so just leave huge piles of them everywhere. I’m called a ‘Library Shelver’, but that’s far too serious for me so I’ve coined the term ‘Shelf Elf’, which I think is far more fun and invokes an image of me sat on a shelf singing away merrily.
The great thing is, all of us shelf elves are students, so the fact that my hair is brighter than Simon Cowell’s teeth is absolutely fine!
Another welcome change is the state of my usually barren fridge, which for some reason always seems to contain random cloves of garlic. As my mum dropped me back home after the Spring break, it's full and one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
*wipes a tear away as I look on at my beautiful full fridge*
As you can probably imagine, the chocolate yogurts disappeared rather quickly...
The only other big thing that's happened to me is my hand in, but considering I've been working on this project for 3 months, it feels like a massive achievement.
I've been designing the costumes and set for the opera Rigoletto, within the beautiful ruins of Corfe Castle. I got really into the costume designs, with each character drawing inspiration from a different insect.
Here's a quick look at my costume designs & set boxes, just so you guys know what I've been working on














What do you think? And what's new with you guys? Let me know in the comments! :)
Watch this space!
Sammie
xoxo


If you liked this post, you may also like:

1 comment: